Hey family,
Thanks again for the letter this week.
This week we are in a ghetto computer cafe thing, because the member in charge
of the computers at the church won’t let us use them. We went to Chichigalpa today
and played baseball with the zone. It was pretty cool.
We are back in
Chinandega now writing emails and waiting for our laundry. It has been 2 weeks
without laundry, and the lady picked them up on Saturday and said today, but
still no clothes. So we’ll see, probably tomorrow we'll get the clothes. Some
lady does our laundry, and I don’t really know a lot about it. She charges 300
Cordobas for the month, which is quite a bit. They do all of it by hand
though, so I guess it’s a good deal. We just give her the bag of dirty
clothes, and today or tomorrow we should receive the clothes cleaned. We get
like $90 US each month for food, and I think like $30 for personal money. It’s
weird cause things are either super, super dirt cheap, or in the wanna-be
American parts with American food and nice stuff, they are pretty spendy. I can
get food though in the street for like 50 cents US money.
Anyway, all is going well with me this
week. It sounds like it is going pretty well for you all too. So this week, we
have been working with our investigators, contacting, traveling the zone, and
stuff like that. Because my comp is the ZL, we get to travel a lot. So I spend
a lot of time in buses, or hitchhiking, or walking. Its pretty exhausting, and
I think that I am the most tired that I have ever been in my whole life. It is
really fun and rewarding though. I have traveled to a lot of the towns outside
of Chinandega, and have worked in almost every area of our zone. I go on splits
with the other elders about once or twice a day, because my comp is always
conducting baptismal interviews and stuff like that. So yeah, I am doing really
well here, and I get to work a lot with the other elders in our zone.
We have contacted a lot this week, like
last week. Contacting or tracting is the way we get any of our investigators in
the mission. The members never really give us referrals, so tracting is the
primary way to get new families. I have gotten a lot better at the street
contacting this week, and its pretty cool talking to the people.
![]() |
| My shower |
I have become
convinced that every old Latino is crazy. Especially the men, all of the old
grandpa Latinos are super crazy, and talk about the weirdest things. We were
teaching this old crazy dude named Pedro, and we didn’t talk that much, because
he just kept rambling on about his heart and his feelings. It’s pretty
interesting talking to all of these different people, but it’s really fun. The
people don’t have doorbells, they mostly just have a door or gate, so the way
we knock doors is actually just yelling into the house, “Buenas!” Its pretty
cool, and sometimes we have to yell for a while before someone comes. It’s
weird here too, because the sun rises at 5:30, and sets at 5:30. But we still
contact until 9 or 9:30. During the night is when most people are in the
streets, because they get home from work, and they are relaxing when it cools
down a little. It’s pretty cool walking around the streets, and it’s really
different, but I’m getting used to it.
![]() |
| Volcano |
So a funny story. Last night we were
sitting in a member’s house waiting to get fed. I was just sitting there in a
chair, and felt something on my arm. It was a little black pellet. I looked up,
and on the ceiling was a lizard, and it was pooping on me. Pretty funny.
![]() |
| Ceiling in my apartment |
The
bugs here really aren’t that bad; mostly just cockroaches, ants, and lizards in
our house. I find a ton of lizards in our house each day, and sometimes I find
ants in my bed. It isn’t really that bad though. I have eaten a bunch of cow
tongue, but it’s not really that weird, its mostly just chewy.
Anyways, I’m glad that you’re all doing
well, and I hope that you will have fun next week.
Love you,
Elder Stark









No comments:
Post a Comment