Family!!
I was really glad to hear from you this week. I can’t believe
that another week has gone by too. It’s really weird being here sometimes,
because the days go by so so slow, and we are literally dead by the night. But
then we wake up and have a lot of energy, but by 8pm, were dead again. It’s a
vicious cycle, but it’s super fun. The days feel like weeks, and sometimes the
weeks feel like days. Kind of hard to describe, but maybe you know what I’m
talking about.
So I was really glad to hear that you all had fun on New Years
eve, and also on The New Years Day. That’s totally awesome that you had the
party at our house. I’m glad to hear
that you had fun. My new years eve was a little interisting. The day before our
Recent Converts had boughten us some Nakatamales. There like tamales, but super
huge, and wrapped in seaweed rather than corn husks. They were really good, but
during Monday night, I got pretty sick. They fed us again on new years eve, and
it was a super fancy dinner. I can really tell that these two people are so so
so so so grateful that we helped them get baptized. I feel really bad, because
the man is a total stud, but he doesn’t have work because he got hit by a car
while on his bike, and he had surgery on his arm, and can’t use it for the next
year. So basically, the family is without much money, but they really really
express their love for us by feeding us a lot, which is a sacrifice for them.
Ok back to the story, so they fed us a really nice dinner on new years eve, and
I was feeling a little sick. I ate it and was doing fine, but after when we
were chatting and stuff, I started to feel pretty nasty. Finally we got up to
leave, and I walked outside, and walked across the street in the dark, and just
barfed it all up. I felt really bad, because the food was fantastic, but I just
had a little upset stomach. But they are totally awesome, and we just laughed
after. The woman went and got me some medicine, and it all worked out. I am so
glad that I had the opertunidad to teach them, because they are totally
awesome, and they really love us. They are always trying to buy us something
and do good things to us, even when it’s a sacrifice for them. It’s hard to
explain in the email, but it’s amazing to see the impact being a part of the
church, or in other words, having a testimony, can have on the life of a
person. Really awesome.
So for the rest of the night on new years eve, I just took it
easy, and we hung out with other members after the dinner with the man and
woman. It was all good. So for the record, I have barfed twice in the field.
Don’t worry about me though, because I’m doing fine, I’m just a little skinny.
Well mom, it sounds like you have you hands full with the
primary. That’s sweet that you have a good calling, and that you have the
opertunity to work with the kids. I’m sure that it’s hard sometimes, but you
can take some satisfaction in knowing that you are helping the kids develop
their testimonies, and that your are furthering the work of the Lord in the
world. I don’t know how to say it, but this idea has helped me a lot in the
mission.
So I’m glad to hear that everything is, like usual, well at the
house. You got to go see the play, and that sounds fun. It sounds like Owen is
working hard with wrestling, and tell him congrats from me. And mom, don’t
worry about Bailey serving a mission. He is super mature, and I know that he
will do fine. Bailey is one of the hardest working guys I know, and I know that
he will work hard, and have success in his mission. I think that it’s crazy
that in 8 months or whatever, there will be 2 Elder Starks in the mission
field. Here we call it echando fuego, which translates to throwing fire. I’m
sure that Bailey will echar fuego during his mission.
So to answer dad for a little about the Mission Prep. That’s
great that you have the opertunidad to help the prospective missionaries to
learn and understand what they need to do. I honestly can’t remember a lot
about the mission prep class I took in the BYU, or the mission prep I took at
home. If you want to, in the emails each week, I can write a little message
about the mission prep. We do a lot of role playing during zone meetings, and
it’s really helpful. I think some really good advice for the prospective
missionaries would be to know that the mission isn’t easy. Its really really
hard, and if they want to serve a mission in some foreign land just to
sightsee, then they should forget about serving a mission. There are a lot of
super hard working missionaries, and there are some who are just here because
their parents made them. It’s really easy to see the difference between these
two groups of missionaries, and it’s really important to have a desire to serve
the Lord. I’m worried that with this new change, there will be a lot of new
missionaries, but also a lot of slackers. The mission presidente visited our
zone this week, and had interviews with each missionary. It was really sweet,
and for almost a whole day, we received training from the presidnte, his wife,
and the 2 APs. To be a successful missionary, (this is what I’ve come to
learn), you need to know how to teach by the spirit. In D&C 50 verse 13 and
14 it basically tells what our perpus is. I know my spelling sucks, and its
because I am forgetting how to spell the words in English. But basically, this
scripture says that we are here to teach by the spirit. So yeah, dad for the
mission prep course, make them role play, and make them understand that they
need to learn how to recognise the spirit and how to help their investigator
feel the spirit. Basically, teach, testify, and ask inspired questions. That’s
how we teach here, and it works really really well. Hope this helps answer your
question. I really liked hearing the story about your mission, and it helped me
understand a lot about agency. Thanks.
So, basically we just teach and contact a lot here. It’s hard to
describe everything that goes on here, but I write in my journal each night, so
when I get back, you can all read it. I teach a lot here, and I’ve gotten a lot
better. By asking the inspired questions, we can help the investigator to feel
the spirit, and it helpes them to think. I was in a lesson with an elder named
Elder M, and we asked ¨what experiences have you had when Heavenly Father
answers your prayers¨. It was really a good question, and the lady sat there
for a while and started to cry, and told us some experience where a prayer was
answered. We basically just sat there, and she learned everything just from the
Spirit. I think I’ve said this before, but its hard to describe what it was
like if you wernt there. Basically, the lady felt the spirit super strong, and
she understood. It’s really cool to help people, and to have people to teach
and listen. I’m really glad for the chance I have to help people learn and be
baptized.
Right now, I’m just working hard and helping people out. The
language is hard, and it’s a little frustrating sometimes. But I’m learning,
and I’m not too worried. Of course I would love to be 100% fluent and
understand everything people say, but I’m happy with where I’m at right now.
The comps are doing well, and I learn a lot from being with the leders of the
zone. Right now, in the scripture reading, I’m in Alma where him and Amulek are
¨echando fuego¨. I wish that I could have the success that they had, like
baptizing thousands. But I know that I probably won’t have those kinds of
experiences. Really cool to read about either way, and I learn a lot. The
chapters in Alma about Alma and Amulek are really applicabale to the missionary
work, and they are super awesome to me, because I’m a missionary like them. The
hardest part, to be honest, is getting people to go to church. Well, yeah, that’s
just the delema right now. People will commit to be baptized, but they wont go
to church. On Sunday, they will lie to us, saying they’re sick, busy, or cant
to. It’s a little frustrating, but whatever.
So yeah, I really love my time here. I’m having a good time, and
I also hope that all is well at home. In the email, dad signed off with a
scripture. I will sign off with some cool things that happened this week.
- One night, we went to our house to get more panflets to hand
out. As we walked outside our house, we heard a boom, and all of the lights
went out in like a square kilometer. I don’t know what happened, but the electricity
went out. What was once a busy street, all of the sudden because super dark.
There arnt emegerency lights or anything. So yeah, it was pitch black, and
there were a lot of people in the streets wandering around, because they couldn’t
see anyhing. Luckily we had a flashlight, and we were able to find are way
around. People started lighting candles, and it was really a different
experience.
- I was in an alley in La Linea, and we were contacting and
looking for a house we had contacted. PS, the direccion-addresses are a pain in
the butt sometimes. So we were in this alley, and a dog got mad at us and was
trying to eat us, then when all of the other dogs in the houses heard the
fiasco going on, they came out and tried to eat us too. We had a lot of dogs,
and we took off our backpacks, and put them in front of us, and backed out
slowly, while like 9 dogs were barking at us and trying to bite us. Pretty
freaky!!
- On the way to a neigherbood, there is a street with a bunch of
rich people. Like really really really rich. The top .01% or whatever of
Nicaragua. They were really rich by US standards. So we decided that we were
going to try to contact there. We walked in and some servant dude told us to
leave, because we weren’t aloud there. The people there even have servants! It
was really crazy, and we left. Kind of funny. Apparently it’s a colony or
something, and you cant go there unless you have permission. Otherwise they’ll
call the police and make you leave.
- for P day, we had a water fight in the parking lot of the
church. I was soaking wet, but it felt really good. Fun stuff.
- oh and we found another tarantula in our house.
Well, thanks for the email, and I love you all and miss you. I
have changes a week from Wednesday. We will see if I stay in Chinandega or
leave.
Lots of love,
Elder Stark
![]() |
| Hanging out after the water fight |
![]() |
| Getting lunch on P-Day |
![]() |
| My Lunch |
![]() |
| The Big spider in our appartment |




No comments:
Post a Comment