8-12-13
Hey family,
Well another week has gone by, and here
I am again writing you all. The computer I’m on really sucks, especially the
space button, so forgive me if a lot of the words just come out as one giant
word.
But anyway, I'm really exited about
Bailey's mission call. I think about it all
the time and I am stoked. But he still has a ton of time at home to get
ready and learn every thing about the country. I’ve asked a lot of Latinos what
the Dominican Republic is like and they all say that the people there speak
Spanish really "weird". They say that their slang is hard to
understand. But that’s alright. If you have any questions about stuff to buy,
and what is good and not good, just ask me and I’ll fill you in.
So this week has gone by quickly, but I
have a hard time remembering what happened. One of the days this week, the
power went out in the whole area. Like everything. There wasn’t a single light,
or street light, or anything. So we just went home, because it was too
dangerous to be outside. That day was pretty uneventful, but because the lights
were out, we had to go across the street and buy some candles from our
neighbors. I bought a couple, and it was really cool.
So we are just continuing to teach all
of the people that we have. We are still teaching H and K, and they came to the
church again for the 8th time. There are more faithful than 90% of the members
here. So that was cool. But sadly, we only had one family of investigators at
church this week. Thus ends the 7 week streak of 2 families at church on
Sunday. After church we went to the home of a member who always gives us lunch.
The awesome part was that they gave us lasagna, which was the first time I
remember eating that here. It was awesome, and actually tasted more like
chicken pot pie. Good stuff. Oh, and to get to this house, we were just waiting
for the bus. Then a taxi stopped, and offered to take us for really cheap. We
were like, "Sorry man, we don’t have any money for a taxi.” And he was
like, "I’ll take you for the price of the bus.” It was awesome.
Oh and on Saturday, I teach an English
class in the church. After teaching the class, I decided to show H the family
history center. I showed him my family tree and all of the stuff on the
church’s family history website. Then the bishop of the other ward (who was
sitting next to us on the other computer) began to talk about baptisms for the
dead and temple work. I was just sitting there thinking, "Bishop, stop
talking about these things. They'll just confuse my investigator.” But the
damage was done, so I had to explain everything about the temples and
ordinances. It turns out that it was a really spiritual lesson, and my
investigator loved it. I was actually surprised that he wasn’t weirded out. So
that was good. Little by little, we’re progressing with that family.
So on P-day today, we got invited by
President Collado to eat lunch at his house. So this morning we went to the
mission office and hung around with the elders there. Then the Sister Collado
showed up, and we all piled into their minivan and went to their house. It is
very, very, very, very, very, rich and all of us missionaries just kind of
walked around with our jaws open, all surprised and whatnot. It was crazy. Like
there is hot water and A/C in almost all of the house. I couldn’t believe it.
But yeah, we hung around with them. We played some Ping-Pong, and then Sister Collado
made us lasagna. It was awesome, and for the 2nd day in a row, I got to eat one
of my most favorite foods. So yeah, that was crazy. Afterwards, Elder Ch and I were
sitting on the couch chatting, and President Collado came and sat down and
talked with us for a while. Then he was like, "I’ve got a better place,"
and he took us deeper into his house into their theater room. We three sat down
on these crazy awesome recliners, and we chatted for a while. Then President
Collado was like, "let’s relax" and he turned off the lights, and we
kicked out the foot rests, and relaxed for like an hour. We all fell asleep,
and it was awesome. This mission president is totally a stud. So cool.
Oh yeah, and President and Sister
Collado totally think that it’s awesome that I know Brother R. Sister Collado
talked to me for like 15 minutes about Elder/Brother R, and she even showed me a
picture on her iPhone of the R family. Who would have ever thought that I would
come to Nicaragua, and find a picture of the R family on someone’s iPhone? But
yeah, did you know that he baptized Sister Collado? He also helped a ton of
people go to the temple, and yeah, they totally love him. Fun stuff.
So not much else happened this week. A
dog went to bite my comp, and I chucked a rock at it, which hit it and it ran
away crying. Fun stuff. And I’ve learned a little queqs'i from my comp. But
that’s about it.
So yeah, I’m glad that all is well at
home, and that you're all safe. Hopefully you don’t all have any more medical
scares like you had this week. But yeah, it looks like you're doing well. Stay
safe, and have a good week. I love you, and don’t forget to read you scriptures.
Elder Stark


No comments:
Post a Comment