Wednesday, March 13, 2013

#27 Managua (Bello Horizonte)


MARCH 4, 2013

Hey family. 

Well, yeah its Monday again so I’m here in the cyber again emailing. This week was a super good week. We have been working pretty hard, and yeah, we're pretty tired. But anyways, it’s all going well. My comp is pretty cool and works hard.

So this week, we were walking down the street. We had stopped by a pulparia to get some beverages, but there wasn’t any red soda, so we were walking away. As we were walking away, I saw a 500 Córdoba note on the sidewalk. So I went to pick it up to check it out, and then right as I picked it up, there was an eruption of laughter from the other side of the street. I guess like 10 drunk guys decided that it would be a good idea to print off a fake 500 Córdoba note, and then leave it on the sidewalk on the other side of the street, and wait for someone to walk by. Well, I got laughed at pretty good, but then I started laughing. I remember doing the exact same thing in high school with my friends. I guess drunk Nica men have the same sense of humor. Good stuff.

Oh so get this: on Tuesday I was on divisions with the ZL in my area. He is pretty cool, and we made some good jokes. So he came to my house to sleep, and we went to bed. Then at like 3am, Elder B, one of the elders next door woke me up through the window. He was like "hey man, can I borrow your cell phone to call the mission nurse. My phone doesn’t work". So I got out of bed and was like "yeah, sure, whatever" and then went to bed. I was half asleep and didn’t process exactly what he was saying. So I woke up at 6:30, and looked into his window and he and his comp weren’t there. So I was like "wow, that’s weird". Then I went into the bathroom and there was a bunch of blood. So I was thinking, "wow, this isn’t good". We called the nurse, and she said that the Elder B was in the hospital with kidney stones. It was no bueno. And he had my phone, so for 2 days, I had no phone. But he finally got released, and it was all good. Plus he got me a new phone, so it’s extra good. That’s about the whole story. I guess the mission takes pretty good care of the missionaries, and they put the elder in the best hospital in Nicaragua. Oh, and on Friday, we got new debit cards. Not really too exciting, but we went to the chapel, and got to see some of the other zones here in Managua, so I got to see some friends. 

So I guess the big news this week is that we finally baptized a family here. We had found this family "W and C,” and they were pretty much prepared for us. They had been to church a couple times before, and already knew a little. I guess that other missionaries had taught them, but were never able to get them baptized. Even the Hermanas who we share the area with had taught them last month, and didn’t have any success. But then we got a reference from another missionary named Elder R. He said that he got an impression to contact them, and did. It turns out that they lived in our area, and we got the reference. So we visited them, and put a baptism date. Also, we baptized the little girl who was 12. It’s awesome. Baptisms are the best, and it was super cool. We got them married too, and for a cake, we got a Bugs Bunny cake. It was the only cake that the supermarket had.... But we had some good laughs, and the cake was good. I got the chance to do the ordinance, and it was sweet. Yeah, it’s pretty awesome to see how the Lord prepares some people. The family also went to stake conference on Sunday, and they really enjoyed it. 

Yeah, so on Saturday and Sunday we had stake conference. It was cool, and President Arredondo spoke, and also the President of Central America came and visited and spoke: Elder Martino. So yeah, we had a pretty awesome weekend. We didn’t have any new investigators to bring to the conference of the stake, but we brought a ton of recent converts. For one session, we brought 9 people in a small little taxi about the size of the Neon. It was cramped, but with more people = more money saved. So yeah. 

Well, there isn’t too much to report for this week. It was awesome, and we are really happy. Other than the stuff I wrote about, we pretty much just contact and work all day: teaching and contacting. For P-day today, as a zone, we went to the south mission to some lookout over the whole city of Managua. There is 1 skyscraper of like 10 stories in the whole city, but its been abandoned since 1973 or whenever the earthquake was. There was a little museum where we poked around for a while, and then we went to the mall for some food in the food court. That was basically our P-day, and now we are here in the cyber writing the email. 

Thanks again for all of the support. I really liked the 2 packages that I got, and the little propel packets have really been keeping me happy. It gets boring just drinking the normal water. Also the peanut butter was nice and it has been really good. We didn’t have to get a new apartment because Elder B had served in this area before, and he came back. He "echó la kasaka" (the translation here isn’t 100% accurate, but what it basically mean is "sweet talk") to the landlady, and she really likes him. So we didn’t have to move houses. Before, the landlady wanted us to move houses, because we talked a lot in the night. But now with the different missionaries, it’s a lot better. No need to move houses!

Basically, this is about all. We are working on finding some new investigators to baptize. So we'll see. Right now we don’t have any particular family that’s super positive, but we'll see. Changes are in 2 weeks on Wednesday. This change is super short like 4 weeks. I've got a feeling that I’ll get changed, but we'll see too. Well, gracias por todo.

Elder Stark







No comments:

Post a Comment