Tuesday, April 9, 2013

#32 Managua (Bello Horizonte)


Hey family-ness,

Que tal? Que es nuevo? I’ve been working super hard this week, and I’m pretty dang tired. Right now we are in one of the only computer labs in the mission that has A/C, so it feels super good to just sit here and read some emails. Pretty awesome. It sounds like the week has been pretty chill for you all. So you all just watched conference and that’s about it? Conference is a huge deal in the mission, because we need to bring investigators, and we have 5 opportunities to bring the people. It’s essentially like having 5 opportunities to bring investigators to church. So from Monday until Friday, we worked super hard and had 7 families, or something like that, promised to go to the conference. I’m pretty tired, and yeah, it was a tough week. On Saturday morning, I got a call from the leaders of the mission saying that if we didn’t have a family in the church, we couldn’t watch Conference. But it’s all good. Conference is literally the best, and I really wanted to watch all of the sessions, so it was extra incentive to bring families.

So on Saturday we had 3 oportunities to bring people. We worked all day, for like 12 hours without eating breakfast, and having like a little lunch, and we didn’t get anyone to the conference. It was a killer, and we were pretty discouraged. Somehow all of the families that were promised to go fell and couldn’t go. So it was no bueno. I didn’t get a chance to watch any conference on Saturday. But then all through the night and during Sunday morning we were praying that we could get just a single family. It was tough. On Sunday morning at the 10:00 session, all of the families fell. We were like ".... crap.” So we just kept working super hard, and at 1:50pm all of the sudden we stopped by one of the houses of the families and they were getting ready to go to Conference. It was 100% an answer to the prayers. We were super, super, super happy, and we all climbed into a taxi and went to Conference. So I only saw a little bit of Conference, but after I get done emailing, I’m going to watch some of it. It was super awesome to be able to walk into the stake center with a family investigating. I’m super happy, and they were super positive. During the whole conference, the guy would lean over to me and ask questions like "so that guy is an apostle right?" or "ahhh... he is a seventy?" Stuff like that. The family seems super positive and we’re excited to teach them. Tomorrow night we have appointment with the family, and I’m excited to see what happens. Bringing families to church is something that is super hard here. It’s easy to invite people to be baptized and everything, but to actually get them to go to church is super tough. Somehow when Sunday rolls around, the people all of the sudden become sick, or have to sleep, or aren’t home, or whatever. Its tough, but we're super happy with the success that we had this Sunday.

So this is about all that is going on. All throughout the week, when we haven’t had appointments with families, we have contacted. I swear that I’ve probably contacted like every family in my area. It gets pretty boring just walking around, but we always seem to have fun. My comp and I make up a game where one person counts down from 20, and the other missionary needs to contact someone before he gets to zero. If not, then we get to slap the back of their hand super hard. It’s a pretty fun game, and keeps us relatively entertained while were contacting. Also sometimes we play "contacting baseball" where 1st base is a contacted family, 2nd is a family that is positive, 3rd is a family with a lesson, and home run would be a family with all of that and promised to go to church. It’s just something simple that keeps up entertained. Good stuff.

Oh yeah, I finally got the package. Cool stuff. It was nice to get some snacks like gushers and M&Ms. Also the white board will come in handy during some lessons. Thanks a ton! It’s the best to get a package. And I saw that dad wrote, "Stay golden pony boy". I didn’t really get it because I haven’t seen the movie that that’s from, but Elder B filled me in. It’s all good.

So not much aside from the conference is new. Oh and to watch the conference, we had to haul the investigators over to the stake center in Wespán. I ended up spending a lot of money on taxis, but whatever. It’s worth it; aka "vale la pena.” So it sounds like all is well at home, and that you are all keeping busy with the school and dentistry. Hopefully Bailey gets better soon from his sockets, which might be dry. Did Owen really order bellows? If so, that’s totally awesome. I would like to do some of my own personal smelting when I get the chance. He'll have to send me pictures of his art. And hopefully Henry gets better with the directions. But that’s cool that he made it all the way to Bristol Heights. Well thanks again for the email. Its super cool that today is Monday aka p day. I needed a break. But yeah, it’s nice to relax. So I can’t really think of any good stories from this week. But here is one that I just though of. On Sunday morning after all of the investigators fell, we were contacting trying to find someone to bring to the conference. As we were contacting, a big huge fat metro bus (about the size of a grey hound) pulled up next to us. It was kind of surprising because these big fat buses generally don’t drive on the little streets where we were. So we were confused, but all of the sudden our bishop jumped out and was like "GET IN!!!" So we got in, and the guy had rented this big fat bus and he was driving around these neighborhoods searching for the ward members to bring them to conference. So we were like "well, we don’t have investigators, and we might as well help our crazy bishop". So we rode around with him searching for the members. Funny stuff.

Ok well thanks for the email.

Elder Stark




No comments:

Post a Comment