Monday, April 22, 2013

#33 Managua (Bello Horizonte)


April 15, 2013

Hey family,

Well, that’s great to hear about the news. Over the week I was just thinking about who would become the new bishop. But I had pretty much thrown Dad out as an option because he had just received a different calling. But seriously, that is the best news I’ve heard in a really long time. It is super, super exciting, and when I read that, a big smile appeared on my face. Yeah it will be tough, but it will be super awesome. We work with our bishop a lot, and we have a lot of success in our ward here in Bello Horizonte. Maybe someday Dad can become as legendary as the Obispo here in Bello Horizonte. He is legendary throughout the entire mission. Not too shabby. But yeah seriously, I’m super super excited. Even Elder Rodgers emailed me and said "dude..... Your dad's the Obispo now". But now we'll be able to sit on the stand together when I get home and give my homecoming talk in my broken Spanish/English. Good times await.

So this week has been pretty good for me. Nothing too exciting happened, but we just worked and worked and worked some more. I'm always doing one of two things: Teaching or Contacting. They are both pretty fun, and it ends up being about 50/50. Every week my Spanish gets a little bit better, and my English gets a little bit worse. It will be a pretty big shock when I finally come home, but its all good. I really love it here, all is going very well. I’ll throw down some stories of stuff that happened this week/highlights.

Tuesday: We worked for a while, contacted a lot, and had some appointments. We visited a recent convert named R. He bought us some Coke (see, were not actually supposed to drink coke here for whatever reason, but when new converts/investigators give it too us, we can’t refuse it. Manners please). I taught him about the oath and covenant of the priesthood, and then we left. Later that day, we had a meeting with the sister missionaries and the legendary Bishop H. It all went well, and we made some jokes.

Wednesday:  We had our zone/district meeting. After, we contacted for a while, and taught some lessons. We have a family that we are teaching that the wife has been to the temple, but is inactive, and the guy named A is not a member. We taught him a little, and I taught him how to pray in English, because he wants to learn. I can’t really remember what else happened.

Thursday: Just contacted all day. Oh, and I started reading Jesus the Christ, and it’s a pretty good book. We just contacted for a long time, and taught some lessons, but nothing that I really remember. The days kind of just mesh into one big blob, and at the end of the week, I have a hard time remembering the specifics.

Friday: In the morning we had an appointment with a family. We ended up just teaching the guy, and after the lesson, I said to my comp "I wonder if that guy will be able to be baptized". He had explained to us that he was in the war of Nicaragua, and had killed a ton of people, and now he is part of a gang, and is still killing people. So, he was a cool guy, but he is also a murderer. Sometimes we find people like that, and we usually stop teaching them, because their chances of getting baptized are super slim. Later in the night we taught one of our positive families named V and J. It was going all right, but then some drunk guy came up and was harassing us. The spirit left the lesson, but my comp distracted the drunk guy so that I could teach the family. I taught mostly V, because J was distracted by the drunk. But while I was teaching V, I asked him if he had prayed about the book of Mormon. He told me yes, and I asked him if he knew that it was true. He looked at me and nodded his head and said yes. It was awesome! Then I said something like "bueno, entonces ahora ya sabe que nuestro mensaje es verdad. Y por eso, queremos invitarle ser bautizado el 20 de Abril" So I invited him to be baptized on the 20th, and he said yes. His wife J is super hard hearted, and hasn’t been to church yet, but I think that we'll baptize V, and then focus on J later. Super cool though. I love those types of lessons where the people are all ready to get baptized. PT2 So later in the night, we went to the house of M and M, the family that we brought to the General Conference. They are super cool, and had invited us to eat dinner with them on this night. We stopped by, but the parents weren’t there, just their 5 kids. So we had an impromptu FHE and watched The Restoration. It was all right, but the kids were pretty rowdy. So anyways, we left and contacted for a little longer. Then at like 8:30 we stopped by the house in the night to see if the family had arrived. The wife was there, and one of their kids was there with blood gushing out of her head. It was crazy, and apparently a hammer fell on her head????? So we were like "ok Hermana, we will pass by tomorrow....." and then we left. Kind of random, but yeah.

Saturday: Just contacted all day, and taught some lessons. In the night we went back to the house of M and M to teach them. Luckily they were home, and there wasn’t some girl with blood gushing. So we stopped by, and they were like "LET’S MAKE THEM DINNER!!!" So it turned into full out operation mode, and we started cooking. We offered our services, and I made the Gallo Pinto. It was super fun, and I gave some little my girl and told her to take a lot of pictures. So I have some pictures that I sent home. Very, very fun. After the food was all cooked, we served it, and went into their living room area, and watched the restoration again. It was super rowdy, but that is to be expected with a house of 5 kids.

Sunday: Just went to church. We brought 4 people. Sacrament went well, and after we went to the principles of the gospel class. It started off well, but then one of the investigators asked a question about why we don’t believe in the cross and why our church is different from the Catholic. Then it just turned into a giant argument, and it was pretty funny. I guess that’s to be expected when you have Mormons, Catholics, evangelicals, and people with 0 religion, all in the same room. But luckily, it turned out all right. After church we went and ate, and then worked in our area until nighttime. We came back to the house, and Elder B walked into our room and said, "Do you think our neighborhood is safe?" I said "yeah, why?” He then pulled out of his pocket a loaded gun clip. He said that he and his comp Elder F were outside the house relaxing when a taxi came screaming through our neighboorhood and hit a dude who was running away. He said that then a bunch of dudes got out of the taxi, and beat the snot out of the victim, and tried to shoot him with a makeshift gun, but it didn’t go off. Then they beat some more snot out of the guy, and threw the victim in the car and took off. It sounded pretty sketchy, and I’m glad that my comp and I were out working when it happened. But Elder B and his comp said that after the fighting was over, they walked over, and found the loaded gun clip with some ghetto Russian ammo. It was a pretty crazy story, and is really strange, because our neighborhood is super safe and rich. Craziness. Glad I wasn’t there.

Well, that’s all pretty much what happened this week. It was pretty normal. I am super excited about the new Bishop Stark (see, it even sounds cool). Today for P- day we are just relaxing and taking it easy. We went to the Coca-Cola factory (there is a huge coke factory in my area that makes all of the coke for Nicaragua, and most of the coke for the neighboring countries) and tried to get a tour, but it didn’t work. Then we went to Rolter, a flip-flop factory, and tried to get a tour too, but we didn’t get one either.

That’s about all that happened, Love you all and I miss you all. Cuidense,

Elder Stark





No comments:

Post a Comment