Monday, January 20, 2014

#72 Nagarote


Hey family,

It’s great to hear from you guys today. Even though I still have a lot of time in the mission, and I have somewhat forgotten about home, I still love hearing from you guys each week. It sounds like Idaho is a lot different from here in Nicaragua. Here, summer is firing up, and it’s really hot. This morning, my comp and I woke up and I had the idea that we could go to the beach. I had never been to the beach here in Nagarote, but some members told us that we could get to the beach. So we took a bus for 45 minutes to the west and jumped off at a point called Izapa, and then waited on the side of the road for another bus, which never came. So while we were waiting, some guy with an illegal taxi offered to take us for 100 Cordobas. So we jumped in and he took us the next 30 kilometers or so to the beach. It was really cool and we hung around there for a while. There were all kinds of rock and stuff, and it totally made me think of the Oregon coast. It was really fun, and I’m all sun burned now. But yeah there was pretty much nobody on the beach. We went to a little pueblo called Mira Mar, and it was pretty far away from everything. It is a poor little pueblo with a beautiful beach. So that was fun. I really enjoy "exploring". So even though I had never been to this area, part of the adventure was arriving there. So that was fun. I think that you're kind of the same way dad, right? You like to explore right?

So yeah, that was fun. This week we've just been working diligently with our investigators. We had a family come to church: J and Y and J Jr. So that was awesome. They are probably one of the most positive families that I’ve ever had in my mission. There are right up there with H and K. So yeah, it has been awesome teaching them. I don’t have any doubt that they'll get baptized, so now it’s just a matter of time. We had been visiting them on Tuesday and Wednesday, and we didn’t go back until Saturday. We got there Saturday at like 7pm and didn’t leave until 9:30pm. Seriously in these couple days that we hadn’t visited, their "thirst for knowledge of the gospel" was crazy. They looked up everything about the church on the computer, and probably know more that I know. So we just show up on Saturday night, and the husband, J was so giddy and excited to share all that he had learned. He was talking about the pioneers, the death of Joseph Smith and Hyrum, Brigham Young, and the settlement of Utah, literally everything... It totally blew my mind. I was just so surprised. And while they were looking up all of this stuff on the Internet, they found a bunch of negative stuff about the church. But they are really intelligent people, and looked up the church’s response. Like for example, he learned about plural marriage, but then he downloaded the triple combination on his computer and read the Official Declaration 1. Seriously, I’ve never had investigators so pilas (literally that means batteries, but it’s used here to explain someone who is outgoing). So yeah, they love the gospel and love everything. I am really really really happy for them. The other family that we're teaching is P and B. They went to church last week, and have a baptism date for the 25th of this month, but we're going to have to push the date back, because they've only been to church once.

So nothing too crazy happened this week. But one night we got home, said the prayer, and I started taking all of the numbers of the areas in the district. My comp comes out of the bathroom freaking out, and told me to come. So I went into the bathroom, and there was a giant scorpion about the size of my hand. Those things are pretty dangerous. It was on the wall right above the toilet. So I grabbed the broom and beat the snot out of the thing. It was crazy. The other cool story is that there is a return missionary in our branch who got back like 7 months ago from his mission in the Guatemala North. It turns out that he trained one of the missionaries who was in my MTC district who went to Guatemala. It was really funny. So last night we were with him, and he called up Elder S on his cell phone, and I talked to him for like 3 minutes. Funny stuff. It’s a small world.

Well, that’s about all that’s happened. Training is going well, and my comp is awesome. It’s fun training, and to think that Bailey is being trained at the same time. I hope that he's doing well. I saw some pictures that he uploaded to dropbox. Is his dad in the mission a chele? Oh, and it sounds like all is going well at home, and with the bishop visits. I don’t really remember many of those families that you mentioned... I think that my brain has forgotten a lot of Idaho. 

So yeah, I hope that all goes well this week. Let me know how you're all doing. And I sent like a million photos home, so enjoy!!

Con amor,

Elder Stark





No comments:

Post a Comment