April 14, 2014
Hey family!!!!
It was awesome to get your email today. It sounds like
you're all having a pretty good time back at home, and that dad is pretty busy
with work and the stuff in the ward. Fun stuff. We've been pretty busy here
too. It’s been fun working in El Naranjo. The area is a lot different from the
other areas that I've been in, and it’s been interesting trying to change my
teaching style and all that stuff.
So yeah, the cool news is that in this week there have
been a lot of earthquakes here in Nagarote. The first one that I remember
feeling was on Thursday and we were standing outside the house of a family
teaching them the restoration and all of the sudden the dogs started barking,
and everything started to shake. I was leaning against a cinderblock wall, and
it was moving quite a bit so I got away. It was a pretty cool experience, but
only lasted for like 7 or 8 seconds. Kind of funny stuff. Anyways, I didn’t
really think much about it. But yeah, later that evening we had ward council
and we were sitting there and J and Y from Nagarote tried to call me, but I cut
the call because I was busy. Later they called me again. They explained that
the epicenter of the earthquake was in Nagarote, and that it had caused a lot
of damage. They explained that they were alright, and that they were helping
the other members in the branch. J and Y are the only members in the ward that
have a car, so they were driving around helping all of the members in the
branch. They told me that the quake had knocked down some of the houses of the
members, including a chunk of the sister missionaries house. But they said that
everyone was alright, and that it turned out ok. Supposedly nobody died. But
yeah, they are awesome converts. I was really impressed that they had gone and helped
everyone in the branch. Anyways, that was the first earthquake on Thursday. On
Friday I was on divisions with the ZLs and at like 2pm we were planning a
little of the day, and while we were sitting on the bed planning, the windows
started to shake a ton and the dresser almost fell over. It was a really weird
experience again. I'd never felt an earthquake until I came here, and yeah, it
was kind of cool. Same thing though, it only lasted like 8 seconds. But all of
the Nicaraguans are really, really scared. It’s turning out pretty good for us
though as missionaries, because we can call the people to repentance easier. :)
So last night there was a high warning that in
Nicaragua there would be a large high magnitude earthquake in the night. Our
neighbors came over and warned us, and later in the night I got a bunch of
phone calls. Also I got a bunch of texts from President Collado and had to call
all of the missionaries in the district and warn them. That was at like 11:30
at night. I kind of felt bad for having to wake them all up. But yeah, my comp
and I were all pumped up. We were super excited. We were going all Rambo and
planning up some cool plans. Anyways, we didn’t get to bed until late that
night, because we were all excited. But nothing happened, so it was kind of a
letdown. Anyways, that’s the word on the streets. It’s pretty exciting! And
we're all doing perfectly fine here. President Collado said that if we're doing
the right thing, none of the missionaries would get hurt in the event of an earthquake.
So I'm not worried. :)
Today I got a little email from Y, but it was a really
short email because apparently the power keeps going out in Nagarote and its
not very consistent. She said that they are alright, and the J is pretty
nervous about his new calling, but that he accepted and they are going to keep
helping out the branch. I am really, really grateful that I had the opportunity
to go to Nagarote, and to baptize them. As I left Nagarote, I was kind of
bummed that I hadn't baptized more people, but now I feel really happy for the
people that i was able to baptize. I’m really happy.. That was probably one of
the happiest moments of my mission. Very cool.
Anyways, on Sunday we kind of got skunked and we
weren't able to get any investigators to church, but we're working hard and
finding new investigators. It’s awesome being here, and I'm really happy. My
comp and I get along really well, and he is one of my coolest comps. We're
always joking around and having a good time. We have some cool investigators.
We found a cool new family the other day. One of the families that we're
teaching is a family to complete. The wife is a member, and the husband isn’t.
He wants to get baptized and everything. They even have a daughter that just
left on her mission about 3 weeks ago. The only thing is that the wife doesn’t
want to get married to the husband... Kind of a bummer. So we're working on
that and teaching a lot about the law of chastity. The cool thing is that they
own a panaderia (bakery) and they've been giving us bread all of the time. I
took some pictures of their bakery. It’s pretty ghetto, but that’s how they are
here. They gave us about 100 cords of Picos (triangle sweet bread with cheese
inside). Cool stuff. So hopefully they can get their issues resolved and get
married. The guy really wants to get baptized. So we'll see what happens.
Let me know what’s up! I love you all and I'm
glad to hear that all is well. Have a great week!
Elder Stark
No comments:
Post a Comment