Wednesday, May 7, 2014

#87 El Naranjo


May 5, 2014

Hey family,

Well, this week has been a pretty good week here in El Naranjo. I'm pretty stoked that it’s almost Mother’s Day, and that we'll be able to see each other. That'll be fun. It’s all going well here. We've been having some success, and the coolest thing is that we were able to teach the family of J and H (the family to complete) and they’ve decided to get married. J is going to get baptized this weekend. Right now we're actually in the other zone in Chinandega because we had to go to the Alcaldía (town hall) and take out the birth certificate for H. Its pretty cool, and I’m stoked that they'll be getting married and that J will get baptized. We had a spiritual lesson and put a marriage/baptism date with them for the 11th of May. Very cool. The other cool thing that happened this week was that on Sunday we were getting skunked. Nobody wanted to go to church. So when the last family that we had committed to go the church bailed on us, it was kind of a bummer. But anyway, we sat down with them and talked for a while. The wife was ready to go to church, but her husband wasn’t going to go. He has just gotten done working a 24-hour shift and being awake all night, and had only been asleep for one hour. But anyways, we sat there, and she went and woke up her husband and he got up and decided to go to church. I was really impressed, because man... I’d be really really tired if I were him.  But yeah, that was the cool success story that we had this week. That was the family of A and E. They have a baptism date for the 17th, so hopefully that works out.

But anyway, it’s going well here. Today for p-day I woke up and washed all of my clothes, but then I ran out of hangers and there wasn’t space on the clothesline, so I didn’t get all of them washed. But I’ll probably do that later. We went and got our hair cut, then ran to El Viejo and Chinandega to do some errands and we got some food and fruit smoothies. It was pretty cool. And right now were just waiting for the Alcaldía to give us the birth certificate so that we can get J and H married. 

I took some pictures of some birds that our investigators have. There are 4 and they all walk around together and it’s kind of funny. Also a new family of investigators that we found gave us some water while we were fasting, but we had to drink it because if not they would have gotten really offended. They were really poor, and I’m pretty sure that the water just came from their well, because it had a lot of garbage floating around in it. It was kind of gross but whatever. Also whenever we go to teach J and H in their panadería (bakery), it’s always unbearably hot. Its like 95-100 degrees outside, and inside their panadería where the giant wood burning oven is, it’s at least 110 or 115 degrees. I don’t know how they can handle it, because my comp and I are always just sweating like pigs in there. It’s really hot.  J really wants me to baptize him, because he says that his dream has always been to "be baptized by a gringo", but I’m trying to convince him that it'd be cooler if his brother, who is a member, does the baptism. We'll see what happens. 

Well that’s about all I’ve got for you guys this week. I hope that all is well, and that you're all doing well. Let me know what’s new, and I'm stoked to talk to you all on Monday. Only 3 more months... wow... the time is flying by. Thanks for everything,

Elder Stark






No comments:

Post a Comment