Monday, September 9, 2013

#52 Managua (Villa Venezuela)


September 2, 2013

Hey family,

Well, this week has been a pretty big week. Today I've been hanging around with the ZLs, because I’m really good friends with Elder Ch. The cool thing is that we get the news about changes before any other missionary, because it goes first to the ZLs and then to all of the other missionaries. So basically, President Collado changed things up a bit. He put an end to the giant change meeting. Apparently, the Central American area presidency has been asking the missions to end that. Now it will just be a low-key, boring kind of deal. So all of the missionaries that have changes will go to the chapel in Wespan TOMORROW. The changes are now on Tuesday, so we get word of the changes on Monday nights now. It’s pretty cool. The big news is that Elder C will be leaving, and going to another area within the zone Villa Flor. I think that he is going to go to an area named Los Laureles. But anyway, I will be staying in my area, and I’ll be getting a new companion. The cool thing is that I will be training again this change. So yeah, that’s pretty cool. With all these new sister missionaries, I didn’t think that I’d ever train again, but yeah, it looks like I'll be getting a new green missionary tomorrow. Cool stuff huh? I hope that he will be as cool as Elder P was. I loved training Elder P.

So this week was pretty crazy. Here is the coolest part. We had wanted to visit with H and K all week, but we never got the chance to visit them. Then finally on Friday, we got a hold of H on the phone, and he said that we could visit them that night. So we were kind of bummed, because it was the only time that we would visit him, and normally I like to visit my investigators more during the week. But anyway, we went and visited them, and I was totally joking with Elder C saying, "Hey man, I bet that they'll get baptized and married tomorrow.” But yeah, it was Friday, and there was only one day left until Saturday. Also, in my shoulder bag, I had saved some marriage acts, and I wanted to show them to H and K. So we entered the lesson, and hung out for a while. I pulled out some marriage acts, and showed them what they look like, how the marriage process is, etc. So all of the sudden, H and K were like "Yeah, we really want to get baptized, and we want to do it before Elder C leaves. We want you both to be there.” So yeah, we were pretty surprised. This family was one of the hardest families that I had ever taught, and I didn’t think that they would get baptized anytime soon. But yeah, they all of the sudden said that they wanted to do it. So we were trying to find a date to do it, and finally we told them that the best day to get baptized and married was "tomorrow.” So they accepted, and all of the sudden our thoughts switched to marriage preparation and baptism preparation. But anyways, Saturday in the morning, we did the baptism interviews, and they passed perfectly. Then we filled up the font, and my Saturday was spent running around the whole city of Managua getting things ready. So on Saturday we finally baptized H and K, and it was probably the best day of my mission. I was so, so, so, so, so, so happy. I am totally convinced that he'll be the next bishop or general authority or something like that. So yeah, that was awesome. Then on Sunday, we had the confirmation. They arrived early to church and were confirmed members.  It was fast and testimony meeting, and H got up, and bore the best testimony that I’ve ever heard in my life. He said, "I know that the church is true. I truly know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, and I know that all we have to do is hold on to the Iron Rod, like it says in the Book of Mormon.”  I can’t believe that this family has made so much progress. I can clearly remember when we went to teach H about the Book of Mormon, and he denied it, and was opposed to "more scripture than the Bible.” But yeah, now he has a strong testimony of the church. How awesome is that? All of the members are raving about the family of H and K, and I really know that they'll be strong members here in Nicaragua. Plus, during the priesthood hour, we practiced giving priesthood blessings, and H participated. Now he knows how to give the Holy Ghost to someone. It is really awesome. Yeah, I’m really happy. 

So aside from that, on Wednesday we had the "gira misional" with a 70. His name is Elder Ochoa, and he is the 2nd counselor in the Central American area presidency. He just got called to the Seventy, and before he was in the General Young Men’s Presidency. So that was cool. I shook his hand, and met him and everything. So all day on Wednesday, we were with a Seventy and President Collado. Cool stuff. 

Well, I think that that’s about all that happened this week. The best part was the baptism on Saturday. And yeah, it was nice to end the change with some success. So it looks like I'll be with a new missionary tomorrow. How fun is that? I was just now talking to the ZLs, and it looks like my new comps name is Elder Ca. So yeah, But anyways, I hope that you all have a safe trip home. That sounds pretty fun that you all had a good time. Peace out, and I hope that Owen, Mary, and Henry are enjoying school.

Love you,

Elder Stark







No comments:

Post a Comment