Tuesday, October 22, 2013

#59 Managua (Villa Venezuela)


October 21, 2013

Hey family,

Thanks a ton for your letter. It’s super, super awesome to hear from you all, and its fun thinking about what it must be like in the US. I have a really hard time remembering what it’s like back home, so Skyping this December will be even more freaky than before. So yeah, life is going well. We've just been working a lot and sweating like pigs. It seems so hot here, and it doesn’t seem to be raining as much. This week it didn’t rain at all, except for like 10 minutes yesterday. So yeah, I think that the rainy season is leaving, and the hot summer season is coming in. That should be fun. But yeah, like I said, it’s crazy to think that I’m on my last year of being in the mission. Very crazy. It blows my mind to think that a year ago tomorrow; I was talking to you all in the airport getting ready to leave for Nicaragua. Today I was looking through my suit pocket, and I found a receipt from the McDonald’s in the Salt Lake City airport when I left the MTC. I bought a hot cake and a small Dr. Pepper, and paid with a $20. Funny stuff.

So it sounds like everything is pretty much just the same back at home. I’m really stoked to hear what goes down with stake conference and the new stake presidency. That should be really cool. The coolest thing though is that Dad will be meeting with Elder Nelson. That is a really awesome experience. Don’t forget to write in your journal about that so you don’t forget it.

I have an investigator named S that should be getting baptized in a week or so. He is dating a girl who is a member, and his plan is to get married and sealed in the temple. So that should be cool. Sometimes here we have baptism services where just like 5 members arrive, and the baptism service is like a 15 minute experience. That’s is pretty lousy, and isn’t very exciting. It would be sweet to have some speeches by the members and to have some cool conversion stories by converts. Every convert needs to be nourished by the good word, have a friend, and have an assignment.

So how's Bailey doing in his mission prep? Is he stoked or kind of doesn’t know what to expect? When I entered the MTC I didn’t really know what to expect, but it turns out that I loved it, and coming to the field was awesome. I think that it was good that I left home for a year before going on the mission, because it gave me a taste of what its like without the mama-cita washing my clothes. Speaking of that... I’ve got a bunch of white shirts that I’ve still got to wash. I didn’t get a chance to wash my clothes today, so we'll see what happens. I just threw all of my whites in a bucket of water and dumped a bag of bleach into it. Hopefully they come out clean! I would have washed all of my clothes today, but the water has been out all day, so we don’t have any water, and plus our washboard is pretty dirty... yeah... But anyways, washing the clothes in a bucket isn’t too bad. I've gotten pretty good at it.

So here are some funny things that have happened this week. One night, my comp and I were walking past the police station by the park, and a ghetto little motorcycle, without any lights, came flying by us with three grown men on it (the one on the back was almost falling off). So this was pretty normal, but it came flying into the police station, and the guy driving and the guy on the back jumped off, and helped the guy in the middle get off. The guy in the middle had been arrested, and the other two guys were police officers. I was just watching thinking... "Do the police really use that tiny ghetto motorcycle to arrest people? And do they really just put their recently arrested convicts in-between them and drive like maniacs over to the police station?" So yeah, don’t get arrested in Nicaragua.

The other story happens to be a little more spiritual. We went to teach E (our recent convert) and his wife V. We hadn’t been able to teach V in a while because she works like 12 hours a day, and comes home and goes right to sleep. So on Saturday, we went and taught them both, and before the lesson we were set on putting a baptism date with V. But V has been kind of hesitant, so it was a little unsure. But anyways, we taught them Lesson 2 the plan of salvation, and it wasn’t looking like we'd be able to put the date. It just didn’t feel right. But anyway, as we were finishing up the lesson (we were teaching them on their patio by the way), the Elder’s Quorum President of the ward showed up and joined in the lesson. He testified about families and it got all spiritual, and then the spirit gave us the green light to put the baptism date. So it was awesome. We put the date for the 2nd of November, so hopefully we'll be able to complete this family and get them all baptized. That'd be awesome. On Sunday, E got the Priesthood, and he should be able to baptize his wife and child. 

Speaking of Sunday, we had 8 investigators in church. We brought an 82-year-old guy who is a great-grandpa, and also we brought another family. With the 82-year-old guy, he loved the church, and the topic of church was "family history". So he is pretty old and shaky, but after the 3rd hour, we took him and E into the family history center, and we looked up their genealogy. We found a ton of records, and found the marriage act of the 82-year-old guy named R, and we found the marriage act of E’s parents. It’s awesome, and the 82-year-old guy was almost crying because he didn’t know who his grandparents were, but we helped him find them. He was so jittery and happy. So that was awesome. After church, we went with him in a moto-taxi and took him home. Cool stuff.

So today in the morning, my companion and I went to the mission office, and I got my package!!! I’m actually wearing the In-N-Out shirt right now, and it’s already soaked from all of my sweaty sweat. The package looks awesome, and I’m stoked to make the Reese's dessert. Oh, and while we were in the mission office, I asked the President Collado if we could go to the distribution center, cause my companion needed some things, and he said yes. So all day today I’ve spent  traveling around in a bus in the south mission. Pretty crazy. The south mish is pretty rich ya know? There is a "Cinemark" and a "Holiday Inn". Crazy huh?

Well, I hope that you're all having a great week. Let me know what’s up. I love you all.

Elder Stark



No comments:

Post a Comment