Monday, November 4, 2013

#61 Managua (Villa Venezuela)


November 4, 2013

Hey family,

Well this week has gone by pretty well. Sadly, we went able to baptize the Hermana V. She wants more time. I’m not too frustrated, because she'll get baptized, but probably a little further down the road. So yeah, we'll see what happens. But anyways, we haven’t found any more mice, so I don’t have any mice stories this week. But this week, they came and fumigated our house. The verb "fumigar" means to spray smoke with a jetpack device. Its pretty sketchy, and I hope that it doesn’t kill us. It seems pretty sketchy that they just enter into your house and begin spraying chemicals all over your stuff. Supposedly it kills the mosquitos. After they were done fumigating, we were walking around in the streets and the cockroaches started coming out of nowhere. It was almost like the Mormon crickets in Nevada. There were tons of giant cockroaches that were running around the streets. They were about the size of a computer mouse. Pretty huge cockroaches. We played games stomping them to death. The critter life has really been getting crazy here.

So on Sunday we had Korihor arrive at church. You all remember Korihor from the Book or Mormon right? He's the anti-Christ. So on Sunday an Anti-Christ arrived in church. He kind of stayed under the radar during the sacrament meeting, but during the gospel principal class he went nuts. The teacher would start to talk about prophets, and the Korihor would open the bible/triple and would begin shouting (literally, he was shouting) about how prophets don’t exist and he would read some scripture that destroyed whatever the teacher had just taught. It was pretty crazy. Then.... it turned into a war of words. The teacher who is some 18-year-old kid who is beginning for his mission is like "ok... I’m going to contend with you. Amos 3:7. Prophets still exist.” It was almost like the debate for president from Community where Lenard and Magnitude are debating. So yeah, it was nuts. The guy just was there to destroy anything that the teachers/missionaries taught.  All of our investigators were pretty confused. But this guy was crazy. He would start shouting about how Joseph Smith wasn’t a prophet, and denied everything that we said. While he was shouting he said something about how he went to the distribution center and tried to buy "something" and they wouldn’t let him buy it. So yeah, it was pretty crazy. That kind of stuff doesn’t happen in Idaho right? 

Well. Life is good. We are just working a lot and trying to find more people to baptize. We've got a guy named S with a baptism date for next week, and he seems really prepared. So hopefully he gets baptized. Oh and on Sunday, it was awesome. Both E and H (two of my converts in this ward) have now received the priesthood. We're trying to get them ordained to elders in 2 weeks for stake conference. I gave H one of my white shirts, and E now shows up with a white shirt and tie. It’s awesome. Both E and H got up and bore their testimonies in sacrament meeting, and it was awesome. They are two really awesome converts, and they are going to be fantastic leaders. Both of them, in their testimonies, talked about the great change that has occurred in their lives thanks to the gospel of Jesus Christ. So that is really really awesome. Anyways, I’m really happy with the people that I’ve taught and the people that I’ve helped to change their lives. That’s one of the awesome parts of serving a mission. It’s like the scripture in D&C 18, which says that our joy will be great if we bring souls unto him. Its true, and I’m really happy and satisfied with the work that I’ve been doing here.

Today I stopped by and bought a box of cinnamon sticks to go from Pizza Hut. You remember how much I love those cinnamon sticks right? It’s awesome that they exist here in Nicaragua. So yeah, after that we hooked up with the ZLs and got permission to go to MultiCentro to try and get the tarjeta TUC (the new bus cards that the metro buses now require here in Managua), but the line was looking like it was going to take a couple hours. So we just walked around MultiCentro and I bought a milkshake and some sweet skinny ties that were really cheap. So yeah, that was cool. The "Centro comerciales" here in Nicaragua are pretty comparable to the malls in the US. They are really nice and sell really expensive stuff like Nike and Addidas and all of that stuff. There are restaurants like McDonalds and Burger King and Subway and Payless Shoes and all of that stuff. Only in Managua. Good stuff.

Well, this week was good, and I hope the next week will be good as well. I love you all. Have fun and stay safe. Let me know what’s up.

Elder Stark






No comments:

Post a Comment