Thursday, November 21, 2013

#63 Managua (Villa Venezuela)


November 18, 2013

Hey family,

So it was fun reading your letter. It kind of gave me deja vu reading about Bailey's pre-mission experiences. I still remember those last few days I had at home. It felt really weird, and I felt like I just wanted to leave and get on my mission. Then when I got to Chinandega, Nicaragua, for like a week, I just wanted to go home. But then I got used to the country and I started to pick up the language, and it all just got a lot better. The first 2 months of the mission were pretty strange, and it was a lot to get used to, but it’s really awesome here. Today our bishop took us around Managua in his taxi, and it was pretty fun. We went to "stop and go" which is the store that sells all of the imported US stuff, and I got a couple cans of root-beer and I paid like 6 bucks for a packet of "chewy chips ahoy with recess cups". So yeah, today was pretty cool. I got the package sent off with Mary’s present for the gift exchange. That should be arriving at home in like 2 weeks. I hope that she likes it, and I think that she will. In the post office (which is really just a tin hut kind of building) there was a "security guard" who was really just some hick in a government communist tee shirt with a revolver shoved down his pants. It was pretty typical nica status. Funny stuff. 

So we have changes coming up here. They are on the 26th. Today in my letter to President I asked if I could stay for another change. I like this area, and I like the ward. The missionary work isn’t very easy, but I feel like I’m doing a pretty good job, and I feel happy here. On Sunday we had a stake conference, and it was pretty cool. All of our investigators fell, so we weren’t able to bring anyone to the church. That was a bummer. It was like my first time not bringing anyone to church in almost 5 months. But yeah, that happens. The mission president was there, and it was fun to hear all of the speakers. To tell you the truth, the nicaragüenses are really rowdy. We were sitting in the back, and I could barely hear from the amount of people talking and babies crying. I don’t think that anyone was really paying too much attention, but that’s alright. The best part about the stake conference was that H was sustained to receive the Melchizedek priesthood. It was awesome. After the conference, we went into a room, and he asked me to ordain him. So I got the chance to ordain him to an Elder. Very, very, very cool. It was one of the most spiritual parts of my mission. Speaking of that, can you send me my line of authority? I want to print it out today, and give a copy to H. After that, we went to a member’s house and they gave us lunch. I got a giant piece of chicken and I was super stoked, but it was pretty much raw so I didn’t eat too much. I hope that the members didn’t get offended. But yeah. So while we were eating lunch, I got a call from H and he wanted to try to give his wife K a blessing. So we went over to his house with the president of the elder’s quorum and we taught him how to give a blessing, and he blessed his wife. That too was one of the most spiritual things I’ve seen. Very cool.  So later in the night, we went and visited V. (V is the wife of E, and she is preparing to be baptized) Anyways, V was "mas o menos" about getting baptized, but then she said that she was praying to see if this is the true church and that she felt a "warm feeling in her chest". So I immediately opened to D&C 9 and read about the "burning in the bosom". Right after I explained that, she said "oh... now I get it.... So what time is that baptism service on Saturday?" It was awesome. So she and her son should get baptized on Saturday if all goes well. I’m really stoked. 

Life seems to be going well, and my comp have been going "testigo style" and we've just been door contacting a lot. It seems to be going well, and we have contacted about a million people. Good stuff. To answer dad's question about street contacting, sometimes as a ward we have the "Mormon battalion" where we go street contacting in a group of like 15 people. It’s pretty fun, and seems to go well. When the elders get assigned to our ward, just ask every member "who lives to the left of you? And who lives to the right of you? Can we visit them with the elders and share a message with them about our faith?" Really you've just got to be bold. Sometimes it’s tough to share the gospel with your friends, but the Lord promises us that He'll tell us what we should say at the moment to open our mouths. So yeah, start getting some good references. And as a Bishop, you should probably be in the captain seat and help people out and show them how it’s done. Sharing the gospel really isn’t that hard. 

All is going well with my comp. He is really quiet and is shy during teaching moments. But we work hard, and I help him out a lot. We get along well, and all is well. I don’t really know that I have a reputation in the mission. I just work hard and do what I’m supposed to do. This mission is a lot different, because now we don’t have "change meetings", and I don’t really know anyone else in the other zones. It’s weird. Tomorrow, my comp and I have training with President Collado for the new missionaries and their trainers. It should be cool, and I’m excited to spend the day with the president. 

So every day I’m becoming more and more surprised at how fast the mission is passing by. I only have like 8 1/2 months left. When you begin the mission, you feel like you've got an eternity left to go, but right now I feel like its slipping through my hands. It’s weird, and it’s tough to explain, but yeah, before we know it, I’ll be on the last week of my mission waiting for dad in the Managua airport. 

Well, I love you all and I hope that all is well. Let me know what’s up. 

Love,

Elder Estark





No comments:

Post a Comment